Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Seamless...


Earlier this evening, Daniela asked me, "What is the female Frankentstein called? It took me a few seconds....

She had quite a bit on her mind after we returned in the early afternoon from today's doctor's office visit. Dr. Nahabedian, her plastic surgeon, removed two of the four drains, and removed the gauze bandages atop the fledgling scars. The plastic surgeon, with his predilection for symmetry and his attentiveness to aesthetics, noticed her muted frown. His reflex...to reassure her that everything would look great in the end...did little to ease her impression of the sutures. After many afternoon glances in the mirror...after many hours eyeing this new surgical font inscribed upon her, an impersonal cuneiform lament...she probably began to translate what she saw and how she felt. And I began to translate what I saw and how I felt at that moment. So, I created my own clumsy photo-mutation. The picture above is an alternative construction...my version of more manageable Frankenstein worries.

2 comments:

Heather said...

Wow - here we are across the river in MD, in the dark and out of the loop! You are in our thoughts and prayers. It sounds like you have the positivity flowing and are focused on healing and wellness. Yay! We are receiving blog updates and will be there whenever the need arises. Jeremy and my mom were both in Georgetown - great care and staff. Sending our love, Heather, Jeremy, Cammy and AJ

David said...

Supergirl. Seems wholly appropriate.

one day, this art will be sold on eBay...

Much love to all of you,

David