Sunday, December 23, 2007

Countdowns...

December 13, 2007 (Day of Surgery)
0450 hrs: Radio alarm clock wakes us up.
0453 hrs: I roll out of bed, Daniela tells me she wants to sleep 10 more minutes.
0510 hrs: Done with my shower, I head back to the bedroom. Daniela is staring at her wardrobe deciding what to wear.
0515 hrs: Daniela is still deciding what to wear.
0520 hrs: I am dressed, take vitamins with glass of water. Daniela is asking me what she should wear.
0521 hrs: I check, re-check and check again...the items I've packed in my backpack.
0525 hrs: Daniela is dressed, I tell her I'll meet her in the car.
0530 hrs: Departure Time. Daniela is still in the house. I worry.
0531 hrs: I jog back into the house...Daniela is in the kitchen. She is wearing clogs, prAna pants, her ski jacket, a scarf and a hat, and holding gloves in her hand. The only light in the kitchen is the fan light above the stove. She is carefully cradling a white bowl above the countertop, diligently herding a batch of homemade applesauce into its Ziploc corral.
0532 hrs: I raise my palms. "Take your time sweetie," I tell her.
0533 hrs: I am back in the car.
0535 hrs: Daniela joins me and we are on our way to the hospital.

December 23, 2007 (Ten Days Later)
2115 hrs: The homemade applesauce is still in our freezer, enjoying its cryogenic siesta.

No comments: