Monday, December 17, 2007

Gabriela's Bricolage

Both Gabriela and Ari are back at home with us having enjoyed a few days at neighbors' homes. Daniela's sister, Steffi, arrived from Holland to help out. The kids were delighted to see their aunt this morning as we all enjoyed a frenzied breakfast punctuated by laughter, giggles, and smiles. After breakfast, the kids went off to school and Daniela took a shower. But before sliding out of bed she showed me something Gabriela had sketched a few days ago:

(double click on the picture to enlarge)
Sleep deprivation. My first reaction was to scrutinize her artwork, and wonder why she had drawn breasts on our (male) cat. I tried to recall texts from long ago...grad school...Freud...projection. I blinked again, and realized they were paws. I need to sleep. Interpretation of Dreams.

3 comments:

Carol Z. said...

Interesting....

I wondered about the cat breasts, too. i guess we have them on the brain; but I also wondered why a cartouche for cancer with all the family members. What does she say about that? It certainly is looming large for her.

carol

Paola said...

Ciao, Ken ! Ho visto e rivisto con attenzione l'elaborato di Gabri...che precisione la ragazzina ! Ha disegnato una serie di cartigli egiziani con incisi i nomi della sua famiglia . Ha scritto in egiziano la parola "cancer", che suppongo abbia lo stesso significato in italiano. Leggendo la parola cancer e vedendo i seni sul gatto maschio mi sembra evidente che lei abbia voluto raffigurare la malattia della mamma. Incredibile la capacità di Gabri; l'avevo notato già questa estate che quella che avevo di fronte era una ragazzina straordinariamente delicata, gentile, intelligente. Vedo che nessuno ha scritto commenti al disegno....non so nemmeno se ho indovinato ad interpretarlo. Ti abbraccio forte e dai un bacio per me a Daniela e a Stefania. Ciao !

David said...

Dear Ken and Daniela,

It was such a huge relief to read that you all had passed through the hardest part of this ordeal. I know it is not over by any means, but perhaps some of the tension has been relieved.

The picture Gabi made is nothing short of amazing! She is an incredible little girl - you both have much to be proud of.

Please know I hold you all deeply in my heart and think of you constantly.

All of my love to you.